Obviously we welcome any team to our wonderful Club whether it be to play against our youth, adult or golden oldies rugby teams , our women’s soccer teams or our youth, adult or golden oldies men’s soccer teams. We are proud to boast the best amateur club facilities in the Caribbean ; floodlit pitch, pool, palm trees, changing rooms and a fully stocked bar ! What more is needed by a discerning traveler? Don’t believe us – See for yourself! Photos of the club and the Island can be seen in our photo galleries.
We welcome any visiting teams and GUARANTEE we will field competitive teams against everyone. No team has been disappointed with the competition on the field and the camaraderie that exists before and afterwards.
Scheduled tournaments include the following:
- Our famous annual Rugby Easter Festival
- Soccer in the Sun – adult soccer tournament (February)
- Bahamas International Soccer Classic (June-July) for youth men , women and golden oldies
Information on the Bahamas
The Islands of The Bahamas lie in the crystal clear, offshore sailing waters of the Gulfstream, only 70 miles from Miami and the east coast of Florida. The seas are teeming with game fish. The beaches are clean and many still deserted. The golf courses have no wait tee-offs. Its easy to get to… many air carriers and fast ferry boats provide daily service to Grand Bahama, Nassau and several of the Out Islands. There are dozens of international flights/day from the USA and Europe. So, what are you waiting for? The Bahamas features world-class accommodations, diving, fishing and vacationing with many historic sites and interesting destinations.
Specifically for Grand Bahama, further details on hotels and transportation are shown below:
HOTELS & RESORTS
Hotels Includes the Sheraton at Our Lucaya Beach and Golf Resort, Best Western Castaways, the Royal Islander Hotel, Pelican Bay Hotel & Suites at Lucaya, Port Lucaya Resort & Yacht Club, Island Palm, Royal Palm Resort and Island Seas Resort are all taking reservations.
The Isle of Capri Casino at Lucaya opened simultaneously with the Sheraton at Our Lucaya on October 14, 2004.
Lucayan Marina Village – 150 slips, Port Lucaya Marina – 80 slips, Xanadu Marina – 72 slips, and the Ocean Reef Yacht Club – 55 slips, are now available to pleasure boaters. Old Bahama Bay Marina, West End, is open from 9am – 4p.m for Customs and Immigration clearance and refueling only
Grand Bahama Island’s four 8-hole PGA rated championship golf courses are located within ten minutes of each other. Currently open for play – the Reef Golf Course designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. and the Lucayan Golf Course designed by Dick Wilson and the Fortune Hills Course which is ideal for hackers.
Recommended Sites: TheBahamasGuide.com.
Cruise ships in dry dock
Freeport Rugby Football Club is the perfect ‘home from home’ for all travelling cruise ships; especially if you are a crew member calling into either Grand Bahama or the Grand Bahama ShipCare Facility. The Club regularly hosts visiting cruise ships and naval ships for either full-scale friendly games, a casual run around by joining in our ‘training sessions’ or just simply a civilized beer or cocktail whilst watching others run around!!!
In the last year we have played games against the following ships:
- Voyager of the Seas
- Empress of the Seas
- Adventurer of the Seas
- RCCL ships
- RFA Wave Knight and RFA Wave Ruler
On all occasions sporting (soccer/football, cricket and or softball) games were arranged.
Activities offered include:
- Soccer – against 1 of our club teams (speedy youngsters, club’s first team, club’s grizzled veterans or club’s glamorous ladies team ).
- Cricket – friendly games at the local Cricket Club can be organized against local teams or the facilities can be hired
- Softball – games can be organized against a local infamous team – the notorious Black Parrots comprising current club members who, being ‘natural atheletes’, can turn their hands to all sports !
- Rugby – games can be organized against our fearsome team comprising young wannabees , rum-soaked has-beens and sun-scarred never-weres !
- Darts/Pool – social events at the club can be organized– again with bar, food etc Squash – we can arrange games or ‘squash nights’
The Club does not normally charge visiting ships for the use of the facilities or matches against our distinguished club teams. We simply ask that visitors and spectators patronize our bar in order that the Caribbean’s best amateur sporting venue can continue to provide